mredkj.com logo

An update blog for mredkj.com

What's this blog about?

mredkj.com is an unfocused programmer resource from Matt, Eric, and Keith

This blog will keep you up to date with our latest site changes.

Saturday, July 31, 2004

MREDKJ survey

The following questions are being asked in the mredkj.com survey:

Should mredkj.com have banner ads?
Will you come back to mredkj.com?
Would you pay a micropayment for content?

banner ads
In this essay I lean against having advertisements. I'm still not a big fan (especially pop ups and other intrusive ads), but Google's AdSense is a welcome kind of ad. If mredkj were to have ads, it would probably be AdSense.

come back?
Most people who arrive at mredkj.com get there from search engines to answer specific questions. I get the feeling it's usually a one-time visit.

micropayments
It's been a while since I've researched micropayments, but I was curious what people thought of it. The survey question doesn't even indicate how much the payment would be, but it doesn't matter, because mredkj has no plans to implement any pay-for-content system.

Update: Comments have been closed for this entry.

posted by Keith [7/31/2004 08:48:00 PM] - permalink - 6 comments

6 comment(s):

Anonymous Anonymous wrote:

The reason I would not pay a micropayment is that I think that the hassles of setting it up would be too much.

Your answer to my problem was clear and concise ... and it worked! Yes, I will return to your site. I'm interested in finding out what other wonderful nuggets I'll find.

I hate advertisements because I find that they make it harder for me to read the content I'l trying to learn.

Posted [1/05/2005 11:28:00 PM]  

Blogger Keith wrote:

Thanks for the feedback. Glad the site helped out.

Good point about the micropayments. The concept of micropayments never took off, but a similar concept that many sites use is donations. PayPal and Amazon have ways of doing that, but for now mredkj is staying ad and donation free.

Posted [1/11/2005 02:45:00 AM]  

Anonymous Anonymous wrote:

Google ads are OK; I've got Adblock on my firefox for anything else that annoys me ;-)

I've got you bookmarked; I'll be back. Your javascript tutorials are great!

Posted [5/26/2005 12:56:00 PM]  

Anonymous Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the info on the Diet Coke commercial. Was looking for the name of the tune in the beach/skating ad. Don't even drink Coke or softdrinks for that matter, but I liked the ad. Reminded me of living in Cali...Liked the tune too!

Posted [7/09/2005 08:35:00 AM]  

Anonymous Anonymous wrote:

Micro payments is not a bad idea. Works best if it is your full time job so that you have fresh content often. (Fresh content brings people back)

For a small site micro payments may not work very well. The trouble of setting up micro payments and for the amount of traffic this site gets may not provide a break even point.

Collaborating with several others to create one site dedicated for specialized topics may be a better idea.

Another approach is to provide the basic concepts with basic scripts for free. Provide a section where screen shots or a video is used to demo an advanced script which builds on the basic concepts. $2.00 for documentation and the advanced script could quickly generate good money.

Setting yourself on blogspot is a good start to generating more traffic.

People will need demos so video demonstrating what your code does is a must. (show several examples without giving away your code.)

Thanks for creating the php version of mixed2b.html

Posted [10/24/2005 12:20:00 AM]  

Blogger Keith wrote:

Thanks for the opinions on micropayments and the other ideas, Leblanc. I agree that small, not-so-frequently updated sites are not good candidates for micropayments.

mredkj.com mostly gets visitors from search engine results. People who want quick, free answers.

About the "php version of mixed2b.html", for anyone who's interested, here's the tutorial_mixed2b
blog entry
with the PHP-specific adjustments.

Posted [10/24/2005 01:06:00 AM]